Friday, January 16, 2009

Night at the NICU

Owen made his grand appearance last night at 8:07 PM. His birth was hands-down the best moment of my life. I can't begin to describe what an amazing experience today was. Owen is the cutest baby I've ever seen and I'm looking forward to getting to know him better!

Owen is spending tonight in the NICU due to a few complications with his delivery. He wasn't breathing right away and his apgar score was a 2 out of 10 at 1 minute after birth. The NICU staff worked on him and by 5 minutes we heard a cry and his apgar score was up to an 8. He was doing well but because I ran a fever during labor he was taken to the NICU for the evening for observation and tests. We went to visit him around 10 PM but he was sleeping so we went back after he woke up, around 3 AM. He was alert and it looked like he was doing very well. They said he'd probably be released in the morning. Also, from all the rooting/gaping and the fact that he latched on like a pro, the nurse said it looks like he'd be a good eater.


No comments:

Post a Comment