Sunday, January 18, 2009

First Day Home


Yesterday we learned that Owen wouldn't be released from the hospital until this morning. There was some bacteria on his side of the placenta for which he'd been getting antibiotics (reason for the IV). His doctors wanted to keep him another night for observation but unfortunately we were released last night (when our 48 hours after delivery were up). So I spent the evening sleeping (or trying to) on a bench in the waiting room on the 10th floor (labor & delivery) and trekking up to the nursery every couple hours to feed Owen. It worked out OK, but I didn't get much sleep once a family of 9 piled in to wait. I did get to experience a little bit of the waiting from the other side. The dad-to-be kept coming in to give updates and everyone was speculating on when the baby would be born, what it would weigh, etc. From the details I heard I had a feeling they were in for a long day of waiting.

This morning Owen got a clean bill of health and was released from the hospital. James drove with extra care as we transported our precious cargo home for the first time. Upon arriving, we immediately discovered that the new pecking order. Boots came up to the car seat to sniff the baby, Owen flinched, and Boots got spooked and ran away. We enjoyed spending the day at home hanging out with the Pruzinsky's. It was sad to see them go. We hope they'll visit again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment